Saturday, October 27, 2012

Catching Up

I've been really busy traveling back and forth to Edmonton working on the redevelopment of the Dentistry Pharmacy Building Redevelopment.  We haven't had the chance to go sailing and I'd love to be doing this right now:


This is good for the soul

When I arrive back in Vancouver and grab a cab to get home, I tell the driver: "Shelter Island Marina near Graybar Road and New Westminster Highway".  Very few know where it is, so I have to explain the route.  Then the questions start:

"Are you going to your boat?"
"Yes" I say. "I live on board"
"You live on your boat?"
"Yes"  I say again.
"Isn't it cold on board in the winter?"
"No, it's very comfortable.  It's heated."
"Isn't it wet?"
"No"  I say.  "If your feet feel wet you have a really serious problem", I say.  Laughter
"How do you cook?"
"The same way you do: in a kitchen, only we call it a galley."
"Doesn't the rocking annoy you?"
"No, first of all, it doesn't rock unless there is a very strong wind and the waves develop.  Even when it does, it's usually quite pleasant."
The there is the question everyone seems to want to ask:  "What about  waste, sewage?"
"Well", I say, "we store it in a tank called a holding tank and then pump it out.  It's no big deal."
Then comes the next burning question: "Isn't it too small and cramped?".  
"It's a lot smaller than the house we used to have...", I say, "..and all of our stuff is in storage, but we miss nothing, are very comfortable and would not move back to land."

By then, we have arrived at the marina and I pay the cabbie and get my bags.  The parting question seems inevitable: "Which boat is your?", he asks.  I point to the outer finger of the dock and tell him that we are the middle boat of the three.  "It's beautiful", he says.  "We think so", I say walking down the dock gangway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMPLETE THE STORY

 Hello all.  I must admit to being a bit reticente in completing the story of our trip to Mexico.  It is marred by an incident of mental hea...