Sunday, May 8, 2011

Living Aboard

Around Vancouver there are many liveaboards, but there is this stigma that we are somehow part of the "underclass". It's as though people can't understand that for many, this is a life style choice because we just don't buy into the norm of house, car, lawn, yard, accumulate, accumulate, accumulate. One of my neighbours is an obstetrician who has lived on his boat for some 25 years. Another is a physics teacher in a private college. Another is a retired fellow and his wife who have made a choice about how they want to live. Another is a mechanical engineer working for a major engineering firm.

The bias we see is a bunch of nonsense and marinas should "get it" and start supporting the lifestyle and not making judgements about those of us who choose this life. It is - in our view - far better than any other.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! My husband & I live our sailboat in Victoria, & we address the same issues that you reference. Among our community it is unspoken acceptance, but outside the gate we are viewed as lower class. I used to take quite offense to this & felt I needed to defend and explain the advantages of our lifestyle choice. I find the comments I receive worse from women than men. Most men comment how lucky my husband is, whereas women shake their heads at lack of galley space, small closets, & heaven forbid no bath or jacuzzi tub!

    Thankfully now I have chosen to stop explaining myself & my lifestyle, & feel empowered. As we are looked upon as less, I look upon this with sadness that those will never know the joy we live! Pure simple pleasure in the smallest of things, & our worries in life quite small! Our community is far more social than our home neighborhood ever was, & we all give support to boat issues while offering a helping hand tying up on a windy day. Personally I wouldn't trade it right now for anything!

    Cindy Matwichuk
    www.sailblogs.com/member/orion



    for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Tragic really...that some are so blind to the obvious. I'm a true landlubber, however, I share and applaud your values, and your enthusiasm to embrace your dreams and your lifestyle choice. It's like they say..."Life is NOT a dress-rehearsal".

    ReplyDelete

COMPLETE THE STORY

 Hello all.  I must admit to being a bit reticente in completing the story of our trip to Mexico.  It is marred by an incident of mental hea...